Thursday, March 18, 2010

EML ElectroComp 101 Brochure, 1976


EML ElectroComp 101 brochure from 1976 (estimated).

Okay - I think I've let enough time pass that I've gotten over my little obsession with EML advertisements that I blogged about in December 2009.

This ElectroComp 101 brochure has definitely seen better days, but since I've only ever seen the front page of this brochure online, I thought some people might find the rest interesting - especially those interested in the specs of this machine.

But, before I get to the specifications listed on the inside of the brochure, I just have to make a few comments about the front page.

First - take a look at the image of the ElectroComp 101 on the front (and on the inside). They look normal enough, but, if you do a quick Google-images search for this synthesizer, you will notice that many of the other images of ElectroComp 101s that you see on the 'net have one extra feature. You will notice two cords running out of the bottom left-hand corner of the front panel.



Check out these images and compare:
I'm not at all familiar with this synthesizer, so someone else is going to have to clue me in. Mark Vail's book 'Vintage Synthesizers' does suggest that over the ten-year life span of the 101 there were some internal improvements made, but "the functionality of the instrument remained about the same from day one".

So, what is this second cable?

Second, and more fascinating, is the style of writing used on the front page. Even EML admits it - the text on this page is very 'cocky'.

Best this..., best that.... EML 'gives' us the best... .

That is a far cry from the ad-copy that is found in the advertisements in Contemporary Keyboard magazine where they are much more laid back - kinda like 'hey, if you are checking out synthesizers, you may want to check us out too'.

Normally this kind of talk would turn me off. Especially since they admit in this brochure that they are not really sure if they are 'number 2 or number 3 in synthesizer sales...'. (Are they just guessing...?)

But, read through the specifications section on the inside of this brochure, and you start to think that maybe they have reason to be cocky with all the features they have crammed into this little beast of a synthesizer that went for under $1500 at the time. Four oscillators. Sample and hold. Multi-mode filter. External input. And most importantly - a patch panel!

This really is quite the synthesizer!

Who knows... maybe I'm just too easy on 'em.

End note: before I sign off, I just have to comment on the fonts used in this brochure. I've stated before how much I love the font used for company name - 'electronic music laboratories inc.'. You can see this font in action on the back page of this brochure.

But, I gotta say, the font used on the bottom of the front of this brochure for the text 'ElectroComp 101 $1495' is also fantastic. Seriously. If nothing else, EML was a funky company.

I don't think I've seen EML use this font before, so I'll have to check my other EML reference sheets/advertisements for more evidence of the use of this font.

Stay tuned for more scans. :o)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The solo cable you see in the advertisements is the cable that connects the keyboard to all the electronic guts behind the panel. The second cable which EML evidently decided to "white-out" is the power cable. I know this because I used to own one of these. Yes, they ARE a blast to play with and are built like a tank

Post a Comment